Tuesday 1 March 2011

Back in 1995 I came across a book by Doris Lessing titled " Prisons we choose to live inside" I thought it sounded interesting so I bought it. I hadn't been in England very long then, my english wasn't that good... I tried to read it but couldn't understand much so I put it away in my book shelf and there it sat for a long,  long time, about 14 or 15 years. Yes, finally a few years ago I picked it up again, its leaves not white anymore,instead they are a pale yellow.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. At the time however, what stayed with me the most was the title: PRISONS WE CHOOSE TO LIVE INSIDE. This title inspired me to create a performance called " Home ( bitter) Sweet Home". This piece represented the different situations in which women may find themselves imprisoned ( conciously or otherwise)...You can see images of this performance in my website. I put the book back in the shelf... A few months ago I picked it up again, I don't know why...

I went straight for the chapter called " Group Minds".  In It Lessing points out :
We are group animals still, and there is nothing wrong with that. But what is dangerous is not the belonging to a group, or groups, but not understanding the social laws that gover groups and govern us. 
When we're in a group,we tend to think as that group does:we may have joined the group to find like minded people. But we also find our thinking changing because we belong to a group. It is the hardest thing in the world to mantain an individual dissident opinion, as a member of a group."

This chapter has inspired my latest work. It is still work in progress but I am quite excited about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment